Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Spreading the word...



Did I ever tell you about the time I went to a coffee reader? I'm sure I have but thinking about it today I realise that a lot she said back then has come to pass...

It was before we had fallen pregnant and I was in search of answers and affirmations all over the place so I popped into this little shop where there was a sign for 'readings - coffee reader'. Hmmmm, I thought a cup of coffee and a chat. How pleasant. So in I went.

It wasn't as easy as I thought. I'm not a real coffee drinker. I like mine not too strong, with milk and sweetened. I don't travel from coffee shoppe to coffee shoppe looking for THAT one cup of java that's going to change my life. I can't drink my coffee too hot, so when we sit down at a table in a restaurant, Mark asks me if I think I'll be having coffee later. If I say yes, he orders it immediately, knowing it'll only be ready for me to drink in an hour or so.

So sitting there, with a stranger staring at you while you blow and blow and blow to cool your coffee down is a little unsettling, to say the least. She rolled her eyes at me when I asked if I could add milk and mumbled something to her guide when I asked for sugar. In fact I think I heard her guide say 'pfffft'.

Eventually I got through the Turkish coffee and there were enough beans in the bottom of the cup for her to do a reading. And this is what she said:

"You will fall pregnant, soon, but you won't keep the baby. Falling pregnant is God's way of making you believe again, because somewhere along the line you have lost your faith. But you will have have a baby and you will be a mother. A good mother (okay, I added that bit). And she will help you to fulfil your dreams. You will write a book, probably a book aimed at children, about your experience and how she came into your life.

God will use this baby as an instrument in your life, to spread love and to help other people that find themselves in the same predicament as you.

Cherish and love the child God sends you because she is incredibly special and will turn your life around."

Needless to say when I got home and told Mark about my coffee reading experience he asked what it had cost. When I told R300 or thereabouts he laughed and said I could have gotten a cheaper coffee elsewhere WITH a muffin...

However the more I think about it, the more things make sense. It's only recently that I started blogging and it started off as a diary for Emma. But I love it and find myself doing it every day. No topics are taboo and I think I've touched the lives of a few people via my on line stories.

About spreading the word to people in a similar predicament to me, well, I was in the December issue of Living and Loving with my REAL LIFE story. Mark and I have been on eTV and I'm in the January issue of Destiny Magazine. Last night I was on Kaya FM with Marlon Abrahams, the internet's leading single dad.

 My biggest supporters

We had a great chat about adopting and the comments from callers seemed positive. I'm hoping I planted a little seed of the 'awesomeness' of adopting.

"By choice, we have become a family, first in our hearts, and finally in breath and being. Great expectations are good; great experiences are better."

So in a strange way, my coffee reading has come to pass and I'm excited for what's still to come. So much so that I'll drink another cup of coffee to that!



Melinda

PS - Below is a list of just some of the celebrities who have been adopted

Adopted Celebrities

Eleanor Roosevelt - First Lady
Lynette Cole - Miss USA 2000
Melissa Gilbert - Actress
Priscilla Presley - Actress
Sarah McLachlan - Singer
Scott Hamilton - Professional Figure Skater
Edward Albee (playwright)
John J. Audubon (naturalist)
Les Brown (motivational speaker)
Sen. Robert Byrd
Peter and Kitty Carruthers (skaters)
Nat King Cole (singer)
Christina Crawford (author)
Faith Daniel's (TV news personality)
Ted Danson (actor) (he is adopted and has adopted a child also)
Eric Dickerson (professional football)
President Gerald Ford
Melissa Gilbert (actress)
Newt Gingrich (politics) Scott Hamilton (skater)
Debi Harry (singer)
Brent Jasmer (actor)
Steven Paul Jobs (co-founder of Apple Computers)
Matthew and Patrick Laborteaux (actors)
Rep. Jim Lightfoot
Art Linkletter (TV personality)
Charlotte Anne Lopez (Miss Teen USA)
James McArthur (actor, son of Helen Hayes)
James Michener (author)
Tom Monaghan (founder of Domino's Pizza, owner of Detroit Tigers)
Marilyn Monroe (actress)
Moses (Biblical leader)
Dan O'Brien( Olympic gold medalist-Decathlon)
Hugh O'Connor (actor)
Jim Palmer (prof. baseball)
Michael Reagan (President's son)
Nancy Reagan (First Lady)
Wilson Riles (educator)
Victoria Rowell (actress)

2 comments:

  1. I think you did add an 'awesomeness' to adopting. And I enjoyed the chat coz it was serious but lighthearted.
    I read your article in Living & Loving and it was just so humble and genuine!

    ReplyDelete